Applying for a place at St Bernard's
Applying for a Place at St Bernard’s
Free, full time Nursery places currently available for September 2019
- “Good” Ofsted rating, March 2017
- Free, full time places available for children aged 3 (subject to funding)
- 45 place teacher-led nursery class with outdoor forest school
- We are an inclusive school
- 340 pupils on roll with 1.5 form entry
- Additional teacher in Upper Key Stage 2 to reduce class sizes
- Strong links to the community and parish
Why Choose St Bernard’s?
St Bernard’s is a joyful, aspirational community rooted in faith.
At St Bernard’s we strongly believe in providing the children with exciting, creative and meaningful learning experiences, which build their enthusiasm for learning and challenge them to achieve.
We want to enable children to become resilient, resourceful, confident learners and gain a sense of who they are, and how they can thrive in the wider world. With Christ as our light we constantly strive to be the “best that we can be”.
What is the admissions policy?
The ethos of St Bernard’s RC Primary School is Roman Catholic, but we welcome applications from all families. Each year we admit several non-Catholic children as space permits. Admissions Policy
The maximum intake number for each year is 45.
The school has a Nursery and Reception intake in September each year. We use your child’s age on 1st September to work out their curriculum year group.
Nursery is for Children aged 3 on this date. Reception is for Children aged 4 on this date.
Admission to nursery does not guarantee admission to Reception.
In Year Admissions Years R – 6
If you have moved into the area and would like your child to join St Bernard’s, you need to complete two steps.
- Apply to Manchester City Council Admissions team and state St Bernard’s as your preferred school. They can be contacted on
0161 245 7166 AND
- Apply directly to school by visiting the school office and providing documents as detailed below.
We may be able to offer immediate places in some cases. If the year group you have applied for is full, you will be added to our waiting list until a place becomes available.
How to Apply
Please visit the school office where you can register your child in person. You will need to bring:
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of address (within the last 3 months)
- Baptism Certificate (if applicable)
- Completed registration form
Places are allocated in line with our Admissions Policy. We welcome prospective parents to visit or call the school office where we will be more than happy to assist you with your application.
- Don’t forget, you will also need to register your application with Manchester City Council if you are applying for a place from Reception to Year 6
Offer letters for both Nursery and Reception places are made in the Spring Term each year.
During the summer term we will then help your child to get to know the staff at school and their new environment through a series of parents meetings, home visits and transition events.
There will be further forms/online registration to complete, to ensure the school has all of the necessary information about your child. We will also ask about personal circumstances as the school relies on top-up funding from the government in order to maintain free places. This includes:
- Pupil Premium, paid to school for children in low income families- apply here
- 30 hours free Nursery for 3 year olds for working parents
- 16th January—Closing date for Nursery and Reception Admissions
- 18th April—National offer date for primary places
- 1st September—Start of new academic year for admissions
- September-October—Children begin school
- Primary applications via Manchester City Council 0161 245 7166
- Information on Pupil Premium Grant https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pupil-premium-information-for-schools-and-alternative-provision-settings
- 30 hours free childcare from September 2017 https://childcare-support.tax.service.gov.uk/par/app/extendedentitlement